Who We Represent

LeadingAge PA represents the Continuum of Senior Care Services & Settings

Adult Day Care/Services (ADS)
– a community-based program that provides a structured setting for adults, who are cognitively or functionally impaired, but receive their principal care at home from family and/or friends. Often used for respite care, ADS generally operate during regular business hours and provide socialization, meals, assistance with medication and therapies. Licensed by PA Department of Aging.

Assisted Living Residences (ALR) and Personal Care Homes (PCH) - are specialized 24-hour living arrangements for individuals who may be functionally or socially impaired but do not require the services in or of a skilled nursing facility. ALR/PCH residents require assistance or supervision in activities of daily living or instrumental activities of daily living. Licensed by PA Department of Public Welfare.

Home Care Services - offer a variety of assistance with activities of daily living (ADL) and instrumental activities of daily living (IADL) within an independent residential setting. Services include assistance with self-administration of medications, personal care, and homemaking such as housekeeping, transportation, laundry and companionship. Licensed by PA Department of Health.

Home Health Care Services - offer a variety of health care services in the home, such as providing wound care and health education, medication administration and monitoring health concerns. Aides may assist with personal hygiene, prescribed exercises and other personal care. Physical, occupational and speech therapies and social worker services may be provided in the residence. Licensed by PA Department of Health.

Hospice - delivers nursing care to terminally ill people, as well as counseling for their families and/or caregivers. Hospice care can be provided in any setting including the residence, hospitals or hospice centers where nurses, social workers and volunteers can visit regularly. Licensed by PA Department of Health.

Housing - options available to assist low-income seniors in securing safe and affordable residences. Senior housing consists of various apartment-style buildings designed to assist seniors with aging in place. Many places offer additional services such as activities, wellness or even transportation programs. ‘Service-enriched housing’ or ‘housing with services’ options are often federally funded through the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development Section 202 housing for the elderly or Section 8 housing voucher programs. In addition, the Pennsylvania Housing Finance Agency loan programs or Low-Income Housing Tax Credit offer programs and community grants to assist seniors in finding housing and making home modifications to improve accessibility, safety and emergency services.

Independent Living (IL) - is senior housing designed for people who are in good physical and mental health and able to live on their own or complemented with coordinated services to reside in an independent setting. Licensed under CCRC, PA Department of Insurance.

LIFE (Living Independence for the Elderly) - is a managed care program for nursing facility clinically eligible (NFCE) individuals over the age of 55 who wish to receive home and community-based services. Nationally called the Program of All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE), LIFE acts as the insurance provider, care manager and service coordinator by providing all of the care and service needs of its participants both in the LIFE site and in their residences. Licensed by numerous agencies including PA Department of Aging, PA Department of Health, PA Department of Public Welfare.

Skilled Nursing Facilities (SNF) - are settings that provide housing, personal care, nursing care and medical services for individuals needing 24-hour supervision. Several therapies, counseling services and palliative care are available. Nursing care can be short-term or long-term lengths of stay depending on the level and type of care needed. SNFs are available in Continuing Care Retirement Communities (CCRCs) and stand-alone facilities. Licensed by PA Department of Health.